We know there has been a church on the current site since the middle of the 15th century.
There is reference in the oldest funerary monument of one "Richard Hanson, priest” to his being "the first to be buried in this church after the dedication of the same, who died on the 18th day of the month of September in the year 1446".
That being said there is evidence of a chapel in the Hospice from at least 1376, in which year a deed of donation was drawn up and witnessed in capella hopitalis. However beyond this, and a reference to it having ‘several altars’ , we have no further information about its location or appearance.
The 15th Century Church
Details of the building erected in in the 15th century are not much more expansive. It was on the same spot and footprint as the present church, and we know it was gothic in style, as a bifurcate window from the church remains which can also be seen in a picture of the demolition of the by then ruinous church in the middle of the 19th century. The stone of that window, seen in the picture here, is now in the College garden. Pope Eugenius IV granted permission for a cemetery in 1445, and seven of the Funerary inscriptions, including that of Hanson, date from the fifteenth century.
The 16th Century Building
Surprisingly, details of the church built in 1501, which survived into the first half of the nineteenth century, are also relatively thin. We do, however, have a floor plan from 1630, and a description from 1662, from which it is possible to conjecture what the church may have looked like.
The 19th Century RebuildAlready in some disrepair, the church was rendered unsafe by the depredations of Napoleons troops at the end of the 18th Century. The church was demolished and the present church built, which was inaugurated in 1888. It was reordered and consecrated in 1981, and had a major restoration in 2009. Pictures of the church as it is today can be found in the gallery.